13.6.08

He wants YOU...

...to join his side for the perpetual war. Nobody today remembers the reason for fighting it and no side has actually won.



Interested?

I just stumbled across Chet Zar's work recently via io9 and somehow it had me thinking about the war. His "Ugly American" series, is being exhibited at the Strychnin Gallery in London. The images, which are unabashedly lowbrow, are an equal dose of horror and political commentary. I quite liked some of it.

The work reminds me of Gerald Scarfe's apocalyptic animation in The Wall, which haunted me when I first saw it as a kid. It still scares the shit out of me, and yet, leads me to contemplate on the futility of the perpetual war(s):



In 2002, George W. Bush said:

"I want to thank the choir for coming, the youngsters for being here. I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace. We want there to be peace. We want people to live in peace all around the world."

In 1981, Phillip K. Dick (read this also) wrote,
"It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane."

No comments: